Jack Daly had lots to say about sales management too. He firstly defined the difference between the role of a salesperson and a manager. A sales manager’s job is to grow people (not sales). Getting the right people doing the right thing right. Sales management is a leveraged play.
Here are his 8 sales leadership tips:
- Successful cultures need to be intentionally managed.
- Hire slowly. Fire quickly.
- Implement minimum standards of performance.
- Recruiting is a process, not an event.
- Start new hires with a celebration.
- Recognition systems are a must.
- Coach on the field, not in the locker room.
- Sales leaders grow sales people. Sales people grow sales.
I know we do a lot of celebrating people’s arrival and obviously using our own program and experiences for reward and recognition. But I like the idea of recruiting as an ongoing process. Running a fast growing business means that you are always in recruitment mode….In fact, I have
six roles we are recruiting for right now. Know anyone?