I was speaking with a friend on the weekend and he said that the single greatest trait of a true leader is that they live in a world without blame. A great leader takes responsibility for the world that is around them.
Effective leadership is not about being liked; a great leader takes people where they don’t necessarily want to go but ought to be.
- Never make assumptions; if in doubt, ask.
- Provide concise communications of goals and expectations.
- Clearly, define company structure.
- Lead by example.
- Always present a unified front.
- Be accountable.
- Respect confidentiality.
- Always be truthful.
- If you have questions, go to the source.
- Remove all emotion from decisions.
- Seek consensus when possible.
- Be approachable.
- Have passion.
Thanks Kirsten for adding to the definition – but I would have to argue that you cannot fake it until you make it. You either believe in your purpose or not. You either are passionate about the game you play…or not.
But knowing that you are the source of your own future is very powerful – it is the essence of leadership.
What do you consider to be the great traits of a leader?