I attended a eBusiness round table this week… below is a list of things that I gleaned from the presentations
- LoSoMo = the trend towards Local Social and Mobile
- The internet represents a $50b contribution to GDP in Australia (the same size as iron ore exports.
- 36.7% of all music sales are now done online
- The Google campaign with MYOB ‘Getting Aussie Businesses Online’ was considered a success – now about 50% of all Australian small businesses have an internet presence.
- One in every 12 retail dollars is spent online (this number excludes travel and airlines and group buying.) Group buying is not considered eCommerce because they are selling promotional coupons
- 30% of eCommerce transactions go off-shore mainly to the US
- 50% of all purchases made in Australia are influenced by an online presence
- 25% of all searches are now done on a mobile device
- 2% of people who visit an eCommerce site will buy. (ie one in 50 visitors is a purchaser)
- By 2013 more purchases will be made on mobile devices than on desktop machines
- There are about 22million people in Australia and 27million mobile devices
- Google search results on a mobile device will prioritize in presenting results for sites that have a mobile version.
To be a robust technology driven economy Australia needs:
- Infrastructure (NBN – it is all about speed)
- People – build a culture of skilled innovators – invest in STEM (science, technology, engineering and maths)
- Ideas – focus on the customer experience and the great innovations will follow