“How did you start?” is the question that I get asked most, which is a wonderful question because it also gets me to reflect. I was a guest on Channel Ten’s Studio 10 last week and this is the exactly the question they wanted me to answer – with a bit of a twist: How do you turn your passion into a business? So I share below the 5-minute video where I summarize the key steps I took to start my journey as an entrepreneur.
Clearly so much of my journey has been about living what I love. Passion and enthusiasm are contagious, as is confidence. A deep sense of vision and purpose have driven me always, and this has not changed.
Here is a check list to consider as you begin to plan your business:
- Is it something you believe in?
- Brand essence is about how people feel about your enterprise.
- Social Media can be great to test concepts and new audiences.
- How many people would pay money for the problem you are solving?
- Keep your overheads low.
- Listen deeply to customer feedback.
- Marketing is about consistency: where do customers hang out, and how much does it cost to attract them?
- Do you want to grow – or be the local hero? (Both are fine.)
- Do you really want to build an enterprise or have someone else do that?